Tuesday, June 8, 2010

This week in Ipiranga!‏

Hey guys!!

How is everyone? I loved the video you made for the president! Thanks so much, I´m sure they´ll really enjoy that. You guys all looked so spring-ish and cute, and Carrie is getting cuter every day!! It was so good to see you in video form:)

As for here, I can´t believe how time is flying. We´re already starting the last week of this transfer! In one week, Sister Raphaela officially ends her mission...but she´s coming to stay with us for two weeks! The president gave her permission to stay two extra weeks so she could be here for the "mission tour" he´s doing before he leaves and the goodbye fireside and stuff. So she´ll be staying in our house! It´ll be so great, we´ll be together for the start of my mission and the end of hers. So it feels like a lot of things are changing! New transfer in a week, and Pres. told S. Witmer she´s leaving, so new companion as well...he also said he´s taking out a companionship from the ward, so it will be just me and the new comp. Plus President leaving in a few weeks.....lots of changes coming up!! But I´m excited.

Things here are going well. Things in the ward are improving a little at a time. The ward has kind of a negative attitude about the missionaries - not sure where it comes from, but I kind of already explained it, right? Just kind of a gossipy situation. So we´ve been trying to work better with them, leaving notes at the bishop´s house every few days since we can´t get a hold of him, etc. At a family home evening on Tuesday, one of the more gossipy members who used to be ward mission leader sat down and just kind of told us everything we could do better, so we just listened to it all, agreed, and started putting it in practice the next day! We also visited his family and sang them a hymn. So yesterday, the bishop said how happy he was with our notes, that he told the President he was impressed, and that said member had spoken well of us. So things are getting better with the ward a little at a time - still a long way to go, but it seems to be looking up.

As for the investigators...we both found again and possibly lost again Tiago this week. After he said, "don´t call me, I´ll call you" we were kind of thinking he had already "cut" us...but we went back this week to see how he was. So we watched the Restoration video and he felt the Spirit really strong, saying "wow, I really lost the focus, huh? I was so focused on coffee, I forgot about all this...." So sounds great, right?? We were so excited to have him back. But then on Saturday, when we asked if he was coming to church the next day, he said, "I probably should be more sincere with you guys....I´ve really already made my decision, and my decision is to stay with Catholicism." It was so frustrating, because he´s never showed any interest in Catholicism - it´s just an excuse. So we tried to talk things over, but he just kept saying "I´ve already made up my mind." So we just said a prayer and left...but he said we were always welcome there. And then today we met his mom (who LOVES us) in the street, and she said Tiago had been really sad, thinking we wouldn´t come back, and that we were always welcome there......so I think we´ll continue to pass by, not focusing on him, but seeing if we can get him to feel the Spirit every time and finally remember the answer he got when he prayed.

We also found some really cool people - Antonio Carlos and Silvana especially. We met them walking in the street carrying a tiny little baby all wrapped up, and made an appointment to go by. So when we went by, we found out we met them coming home from the hospital! The baby, Leticia, was born on Monday. They have three other kids as well. They´re really great, super receptive, really liked the message of the Restoration. When we asked them to come to church, Silvana apologized and said she really couldn´t leave with the baby yet, but would really like to. But Antonio said, "No, but I´m going there!" in such a decisive way. So then when we went to pick him up on Sunday, Silvana came out and said, "He already left! He went early." So we got all excited and ran to the chapel to find him.....but he wasn´t there. So either he got lost....went to the Catholic church around the corner.....or he´d had to go work and she just thought he had gone to church! When we went by later he was at work, so who knows. But they´re an amazing family and I´m really excited to work with them.

Like I said, I can´t believe how everything´s flying, but also how much I´m learning. I´m so glad to be here, every minute of it, even the hard stuff. It´s such a life changing experience and I´m so glad I decided to do it:) I´m learning things that will positively influence the course of my eternity. Thank you all so much for supporting me in it! I love you all so much, and I want you all to know that I know, without a shadow of a doubt, that the Church is true - it´s all true, all of it. It´s the greatest happiness there could be in the world. I love you all, and have a great week!

Til next time,
Sister Madsen

No comments:

Post a Comment